Pages

Friday 22 May 2009

Keeping the heart healthy: The Result

Sat Naam! So, the experiment with doing regular running daily has had real benefits and my heart is definitely healthier in just a month. I'm fascinated at the difference in my health so rapidly! I can run on average for 15 - 20 minutes now and without too much exhaustion. The longest I've so far run for is 25 minutes, and that was pushing all my boundaries, but then again, God loves to push my boundaries!

Running is such a beautiful thing. Absolute freedom! And afterwards I'm sweating all over, which is such a good feeling (without trying to sound too much like a Hippie!). I now understand the privilege of having legs to run with. Some people don't have legs, so having legs is a privilege. By running I'm honouring my heart, my legs, my body, I'm respecting the fact they serve me so well and so I should keep them in good shape. That's the least I can do - keep them in good shape! I owe it to them to keep them in good shape. It's Ang Sang Waheguru.

And also, I'm discovering the importance of the mind whilst running. It becomes either a big barrier or a big support depending on how it's wired up. If I hadn't actively developed the capacity of my mind, this running business would have stopped long before. Even whilst running, I have a constant consciousness about the thoughts running through my mind - if you can pardon the pun. As I run, thoughts run too. As I run faster, thoughts run faster too. Since the mind is connected intimately to the breath. But, if a person does not know how to process the thoughts, then that person will not be able to persevere in anything. It's so important, for those who do sports or martial arts, to also develop the capacity of the mind and everyday clear it.

At the moment I'm doing a meditation called Gun Patee, to make the impossible possible, for 31 minutes in the evening before I go to sleep. All my successes in running have been due to this meditation. For those who want to join me in practising this meditation, below are the instructions modified from the KRI Library of Teachings website.

Please Note: The website http://www.100megsfree.com/yoga/gumpati.html displays an incorrect version of Gunpati Kriya. The KRI approved version can be found here.

Description

This beautiful and powerful meditation has a history in its name. The ancient symbol for this was the Hindu God of Knowledge and Happiness, Ganesha. The other name for Ganesha is Gunpati or Ganpati. Ganesha was depicted as a rotund man with the head of an elephant. This huge body balances and rides on a rat, conveying the message that even the impossible can be done with this meditation. The rat represents the quality of penetration. A rat can get in almost any place. So Ganesha can know anything and can get past any blockages.

Wisdom and wise choices grant you happiness in your life. The impact of this meditation is to clear the blocks from your own karma. Each of us has three regions of life to conquer: The past which is recorded in our samskaras and which brings us the challenges and blessings of fate are balanced by these sounds; the present which must be mastered by karma yoga, the practice of action with integrity in the moment; and the future, recorded in the ether and, which at its best and most fulfilled, is called dharma. This kriya allows you to let go of the attachments to the mind and to the impact of past actions so you can create and live a fulfilled life and a perfect future.

How To Do It
Sit with legs crossed on the floor (easy pose), or in a chair with feet flat and a straight spine with the chin slightly tucked in towards the chest (light jalandhar bandh). Elbows straight, wrists resting on knees. The eyes are 1/10th open, concentrating at the Third Eye Point, which is at the roof of the nose between the two physical eyebrows.

The mantra that we will be using is Sa-Ta-Na-Ma-Ra-Ma-Da-Sa-Sa-Sey-Soh-Hung. The mantra is chanted in the following way:
Sa: Press the thumb to the index finger.
Ta: Press the thumb to the second finger.
Na: Press the thumb to the ring finger.
Ma: Press the thumb to the baby finger.

Ra: Press the thumb to the index finger.
Ma: Press the thumb to the second finger.
Da: Press the thumb to the ring finger.
Sa: Press the thumb to the baby finger.

Sa: Press the thumb to the index finger.
Sey: Press the thumb to the second finger.
Soh: Press the thumb to the ring finger.
Hung: Press the thumb to the baby finger.

There are three parts to this kriya:
Part I
Chant the mantra on a single breath, as you press the fingertips sequentially with each syllable. Use a monotone voice or use the same melody you would use for Kirtan Kriya. The eyes are 1/10th open. Concentrate at the Third Eye Point.

Time: Continue for 11-62 minutes.

Part II
Inhale deeply and hold the breath. Move the body in a slow twist and stretch motion. Move each muscle of the body. Move the head, torso, arms, back, belly and hands. Then exhale powerfully. Repeat this 3-5 times.

Part III
Immediately sit straight. Look at the Lotus Point, the tip of the nose. Become totally calm, absolutely still. Meditate for 2-3 minutes.

To End: Inhale and hold the breath for 30 seconds as you physically move and rotate your body as if it is going through spasms. Every muscle must be stretched, squeezed and turned around, from the muscles in your face, head and neck, down to your toes. Exhale. Repeat this 3 more times. Then inhale, sit calmly and concentrate on the tip of your nose for 20 seconds. Exhale, and relax. Done!

2 comments:

  1. I've been working with this kriya alot this year and find it emotionally intense. I am on my 4th discipline with it and I have more inner work to go through.

    I also read in other books that Ganesha is associated with unity consciousness. So because it removes all these inner obstacles, it unifies a consciousness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I have been doing this kriya for one week now. I started it to help me remove the obstacle of the So Darshan Chakra kriya. I do them both for eleven minutes, with a kirtan kriya to cleanse. :) Sat nam.

    ReplyDelete

Add your thoughts, you can even remain anonymous if you like :) We do not moderate comments but please always be respectful as a general rule.