Pages

Tuesday 5 May 2009

Keeping the heart healthy

Recently I just started doing some running in the local park, and I've not ran for at least two years - properly at least. I have to say that I was absolutely exhausted after just 15 minutes of running non-stop and it made me realise how unhealthy I really am! I was getting blurred vision and felt quite sick - it took a few minutes to regain my composure. It's quite strange because I'm a lacto-vegetarian, I can do very difficult yoga sets and sit in meditation for an hour effortlessly, but to run for 15 minutes really is something else! For me it's been a real wake-up call, that no matter how young you are, no matter how much you meditate and do yoga, no matter how healthy your diet is, working the cardiovascular system is extremely important too - keeping the heart healthy is crucial.

I've now committed to doing at least 20-30 minutes of running everyday and after just a few days, running the same distance is getting easier and easier. It's really quite beautiful to be outside and enjoy the natural surroundings of the park, especially the trees. Whilst I'm running I'm listening to some music to keep me motivated, a bit of Aretha Franklin, Black Eyed Peas and Snatam Kaur. Whilst I'm running I try and keep focused on the mantra "Sat Naam" to avoid the mental excuses of "I can't run anymore" or "Just stop and walk for a bit" amongst many others. After finishing a run, I try and control the breath and breathe more deeply to expand the capacity of my lungs. I love it! I feel so free when I run! I can't think why I didn't start it sooner.

So, I shall keep you all updated on my progress. For now the question remains: what are you doing to keep your heart healthy? Please do not make the same mistake I did, regular exercise which works the cardiovascular system should be part of your routine. May we all remain healthy, happy and holy and keep a healthy body so we may house a healthy God. Sat Naam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts, you can even remain anonymous if you like :) We do not moderate comments but please always be respectful as a general rule.