Pages

Saturday 7 January 2012

Experience of Death

Today, I died. I experienced death, and it was a delightful experience.

I forgot all about my worries in life in that moment, life just became a dream.

We lie to ourselves that the people who have passed away remember us and are with us. We may remember them, but they have long forgotten us and moved on. It is our duty to remember them, but it is their duty to forget us, leave us behind and move on - which happens in an instant.

All of one's achievements and failures, all of one's love and hates, all of one's arguments and joys, all of one's relationships and families, all of one's close friends, siblings, spouses, children, relatives, all of one's weaknesses and strengths, all of one's property and poverty - it's all forgotten about the very instant one dies.

The Guru Granth Sahib on Ang 10 says:

Raag Goojaree, Fifth Mehl:
Why, O mind, do you plot and plan, when the Dear Lord Himself provides for your care?
From rocks and stones He created living beings; He places their nourishment before them. ||1||
O my Dear Lord of souls, one who joins the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, is saved.
By Guru's Grace, the supreme status is obtained, and the dry wood blossoms forth again in lush greenery. ||1||Pause||
Mothers, fathers, friends, children and spouses-no one is the support of anyone else.
For each and every person, our Lord and Master provides sustenance. Why are you so afraid, O mind? ||2||
The flamingoes fly hundreds of miles, leaving their young ones behind.
Who feeds them, and who teaches them to feed themselves? Have you ever thought of this in your mind? ||3||
All the nine treasures, and the eighteen supernatural powers are held by our Lord and Master in the Palm of His Hand.
Servant Nanak is devoted, dedicated, forever a sacrifice to You, Lord. Your Expanse has no limit, no boundary. ||4||5||


It is true that some people who die are so attached to this life and this world, that they wonder around as ghosts, neither in this world nor the next. But, we must let them go so they can let us go and move onto the next world.

Death ironically gives life. I feel so alive right now, and so clear and so worry-free about the future. I forgot my destiny for a while, and suddenly now I remember it again, why I came to Earth. I remember that I was sent to complete a mission of service to others.

Death made me forget all my doubts. Death balanced all my wild emotions. Death made me clear about life. Death is a blessing on this Earth. I bow the great Lord Shiva, who brings death when it is time.

I bow to the great sacrifice of the Sikh Gurus, who brought a light to Earth purer than anyone can imagine. This light is so pure that one must die in order to experience it. One's ego must die. And in that moment it's all revealed. The glory of God is revealed.

Ladies and gentlemen, wandering souls upon this Earth. Let go of all your attachments to the world and live your destiny in your allotted time. Remember your destiny, live your destiny, live with the grace and blessings of God and Guru in your heart. Love all, not the fewLove all, not the fewLove all, not the few.

Sat Naam - This will always be true throughout all time.

6 comments:

  1. Waaheguru Ji! I felt your words deep inside. My prayer is to die, just as you did. Thank you for posting this profound message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saranpreet ji!!!!!! I have no doubt in my mind that you will have this experience too, many times, if you haven't already :). What was weird was that after I had the experience...all the doubts, worries, emotions came back. I felt so uncertain again. And then I meditated on the experience, I remembered what I learnt when I was dead and brought it back. Perhaps if I'd not remembered in that moment, I would have forgotten my learnings because the experience of death is just like a dream too...as soon as its finished and one is alive again, its easy to forget all the learnings from it. Just like when one is dead, one forgets everything about life. I'm glad I recovered a few of the learnings...to post this article...but perhaps I already forgot a lot of what I experienced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also felt that the Gurus permanently lived in this state. And so the Guru Granth Sahib is the best reference for absolute and eternal truth. Aad Sach Jugad Such Hai Bhi Sach Nanak Hose Bhi Sach. The Gurus speak so frankly about life, death and the afterlife - we should follow their advice exactly...otherwise it's easy to go far from the target.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think I've died for short moments. :) It was a sort of flame going out, a total desireless being, a total contentment. Good to have a name for the experience... Just as you, after that moment I thought "this must be where the Gurus lived their lives"! ANd I do agree that the Gurus say it like it is, they don't spare one, but in the Truth they guide one with infinite compassion. Waaheguruu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!! I am pretty sure we describing the same if not a similar experience :) these moments are some of the most pivotal, but just so easily forgotten lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also wanted to add that it was Sukhmani Sahib which brought on this experience - listening to it in the Saadh Sangat!!! Incredibly powerful for those who want to try it out...

    ReplyDelete

Add your thoughts, you can even remain anonymous if you like :) We do not moderate comments but please always be respectful as a general rule.